Optical bonding is the process by which a thin pane of glass is sealed onto the display screen of a monitor. The glass is coated to be anti-reflective and fastened into place implementing one of several technologies, including the use of silicon adhesive.
The result is greatly increased display visibility under virtually all types of conditions, including outdoor applications that are exposed to the sun and other weather elements. Before optical bonding, monitor displays were often difficult to view due to reflected sunlight or ambient artificial light, accumulation of dust, or condensation.
Users were compelled to block the light in some manner or frequently wipe the display clean in order to be able to read the screen or conduct transactions.
No longer. With optical bonding, the displays on Caltron Industries’ touchscreen monitors are consistently easy to see. As the use of Human Machine Interface, or HMI, technology becomes more prevalent, customers will increasingly expect the clear, high-contrast computer graphic displays that optical bonding provides.
Optical bonding provides an airtight seal between display and enclosure. With this gap eliminated, condensation and dust no longer obstruct the user’s view of the display.
Caltron Industries’ touchscreen monitors with optical bonding are ideal for use under all types of conditions, outdoors or indoors, regardless of application. In some cases, display readability is boosted by as much as 400 percent.
We offer optical bonding on our entire line of industrial LCD touchscreen monitors. The concept works equally well on all monitor sizes, including our 24-inch touchscreen.
Other Benefits of Optical Bonding
In addition to reducing reflected light and blocking out dust and moisture, optical bonding offers these benefits:
• Durable protection. Touchscreen monitor displays are able to resist scratches, cracks and spills that can happen with prolonged periods of heavy use.
• Zero increased energy consumption.
• Enhanced shock and vibration resistance, important in particularly volatile applications such as those for the military or aerospace. Strong adhesives used in the bonding process ensure there is virtually no chance the glass will become separated from the display.
• Superior heat dissipation. Because the air gap is eliminated, heat is easily released through the top glass.
• Reduced electromagnetic interference, when the glass is equipped with EMI filters.
Useful in a Variety of Applications
Applications for which optical bonding industrial monitor is useful:
• Locations with high humidity, including arboretums or theme parks.
• Outdoor information kiosks.
• Drive-thru locations, where dust and dirt are common.
• Anywhere direct sunlight is a challenge.
Find Out More About Caltron’s Optical Bonding Solution
If you are weighing the advantages of optical bonding technology for your touchscreen monitors, Caltron Industries can help you with your decision.
Our engineers can assess whether your touchscreen monitors will be used in conditions that call for an optical bonding solution, then make a recommendation.
Call 510-440-1800 today to speak to a Caltron Industries sales engineer about your optical bonding options. For more information, you may also email us.
If you like this blog you may like to know which Caltron products available for optical bonding technology, please visit Caltron Industrial Projected Capacitive Touch Screen Display Monitors